Sunday 22 September 2013

The Mask Inspired Makeup Look



The Mask (1994)

I was so obsessed with this film, I loved the idea of wearing a mask to transform you into a different person, and I guess it's actually what I do here.  If any of you have ever dressed up in drag or fancy dress you kinda know what I'm talking about.  You feel like a different person and you get you extend your personality in a way that you want.  Sometimes I feel more comfortable when I cover myself in makeup and suddenly I'm staring at a reflection that matches how I really feel.  It's just another reason why I love to create these makeup looks, sometimes it acts like therapy for me, and I really do notice a change in myself when I have a long gap in creating these images.

Back to The Mask, it's the sort of film I love, but I've never got a around to buying it on DVD.  In fact I have no idea what the DVD even looks like, and I guess we can all relate to that.  I mean, do you own your favourite movie?  I do, mines Moulin Rouge, but I know a lot of people have their favourite films, yet don't own them.  Then it begs the question, what makes it their favourite? Maybe it's only their favourite because they've watched it once and it still feels fresh, and it's stood the test of time because you haven't watched it years later.  On multiple occasions I've watched Moulin Rouge back to back, sometimes one normally and the other with a commentary.  How many times have you watched your favourite film? And then think have you watched another more often?

I'm happy with how this shoot came together.  I wanted to have a plain canvas on my body and just have makeup on my face and the contrast works, especially for the chosen film.  I chose this image because it was slightly more masculine and I created a makeup to match it, almost an army print.  My body seems quite vulnerable, but my face in is full warpaint and it's this which makes me think I can take on the world.

Tags: the mask makeup, green face makeup, army makeup, camouflage makeup, camouflage army makeup, mask makeup

Makeup products used:


MAC FACE AND BODY IN C1
MAKEUP FOREVER HD FOUNDATION IN N117
MAC MASCARA IN ARMY OF AMAZONS (WONDER WOMAN COLLECTION) 
MUA EYE SHADOW IN 5 (LIGHT GREEN)
88 ORIGINAL PALETTE COASTAL SCENTS
ILLAMASQUA LIPSTICK IN APOCALIPS
SNAZAROO BRIGHT GREEN

No comments:

Post a Comment